Hiroshi Sugimoto

Eiffel Tower, 2000-2001

World Trade Centre, 1997
Villa Savoye, 1998



“I decided to trace the beginnings of our age via architecture. Pushing my old large-format camera’s focal length out to twice-infinity―with no stops on the bellows rail, the view through the lens was an utter blur―I discovered that superlative architecture survives, however dissolved, the onslaught of blurred photography. Thus I began erosion-testing architecture for durability, completely melting away many of the buildings in the process.”

-Hiroshi Sugimoto-

Colors of Shadow, 2006

Colors of Shadow, 2006

In Praise of Shadows, 2003

“I‘ve learned many things from using my hands. While I’m still not sure about the nature of light―whether it’s waves or particles―I’ve learned a thing or two about shadows. Thinking  to devise a way of observing shadows, the project escalated into a major undertaking, requiring an entire hilltop penthouse in an older apartment in Tokyo. When surfaces receives light, the light effects varies according to the angle of exposure. Selecting three distinct angles―90°, 55° and 35°―I had the walls surfaced using traditional Japanese shikkui plaster finishing, which absorbs and reflects light most evenly. In the morning light, the shadows play freely over the surfaces, now appearing, now vanishing. While on rainy days, they take on a deeper, more evocative cast. I’ve only just begun my observations, but already I’ve discovered a sublime variety in shadow hues.”

-Hiroshi Sugimoto-


Texts and Images courtesy of Hiroshi Sugimoto